I wrote about these in my last post. I invite you to read that post for more information.
For your physical health you basically need to do three things well – eat, sleep, exercise/stay active. When one of these gets missed or messed up it doesn’t matter what else you do. You’ll always struggle with poor health.
For us moderns, exercise is the most challenging activity. But when exercise is a regular part of daily life, eating and sleeping improve. This year I’m engaged in a regular fitness program. I joined a fitness center, exercise 4-5 times/week, and follow guidelines from a health professional. My eating and sleeping have greatly improved. This positively impacts all my relationships and my work.
For your spiritual fitness, you need to exercise – pray, fast, give to those in need. You will always struggle with your spiritual fitness if you do not exercise. But when you learn to practice these simple challenges, you discover a deepening love relationship God and others that indicates the level of your spiritual fitness. When you exercise you, your relationships, and your work improve.
Here are some action steps:
- Take a close look at these three practices.
- Determine one way you can begin to engage each one.
- Ask God to direct your heart in these challenges.
- Then, engage each one meaningfully and prayerfully.
- Be attentive to how your experience of each practice makes you spiritually fit.
- Find the joyful struggles and benefits that come by training yourself for godliness.
Share with us how your “spiritual fitness program” is going for you.