Many Christians live as if God has little to do with their everyday life. He is far off. He lives in some heavenly realm far removed from this world. They live on earth. God does not live on earth. They buy groceries, drive to work, mow the lawn, watch TV, make dinner, drink beer. God can’t relate to any of that. God doesn’t do mundane things. They live as if God does not exist in the real world. They are secular Christians.[featured-image single_newwindow=”false”]
Atheism is a belief that there is no God. Secularism is a belief that there is a God but that He is removed from our normal existence. He lives in the glamorous penthouse on the 32nd floor. We live in a bland, 4th floor, two-bedroom apartment. Occasionally we see each other on the elevator. But he’s too important to visit those on the 4th floor.
Moving from that analogy, sometimes He’ll breakthrough whatever barrier keeps Him from operating on earth. We call this “the supernatural.” We know God exists out there somewhere because on occasion He’ll breakthrough with supernatural healing, miracles, visions, dreams, or words. This isn’t natural, however. God doesn’t exist in what’s natural.
When you pray, where do you envision God? Are you trying to beat down the doors of heaven so you’ll be heard? Are you calling down the power of the Almighty to do something here on earth? Do you see prayer as the earnest plea of an earthly creature to persuade a reluctant Sovereign to do your bidding?
Even simple gestures indicate our Christian secularism. I’ve seen many people point upward when addressing God. “He is up there somewhere. I’ll point Him out to you.” Or, we lift up our hands expressing our desire for God to come down or give us something from on high.
- God is among you, day and night. The heavens declare the glory of God and the sky above shows his handiwork. Day after day pours forth speech, and night to night reveals knowledge (Psalm 19.1-2).
- God is with you in creation. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, HIs eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship… (Romans 1.20).
- God is with you in relationship. I am with you always… (Matthew 28.20) – even as he departed from his disciples physically.
- God is with you by His Spirit. And I [Jesus] will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever. (John 14.16).
- God is everywhere present, filling all things. One God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. God is in everything (Ephesians 4.6).
- God is in you. If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him (John 14.23).
- You are in God. In Him we live and move and have our being (Acts 17.28)
The Triune God is definitely in your world! Or as some might say: “He is all up in your business!”
So, the problem is not that God is AWOL, living in another world. The problem is you can’t see Him even when He’s near.
A Solution to Seeing God (Proverbs 3.5-6)
- Exercise faith in a God who is in and around you. Trust in the Lord with all your heart.
- Stop rationalizing away God’s nearness. Do not lean on your own understanding.
- Acknowledge (accept & live into) God in every detail of your life. In all your ways acknowledge Him.
- You will experience God’s presence. He will make your journey straight.
5. Become, day-by-day, more pure in heart. Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God (Matthew 5.8)
In God you live and move and have your being. Begin or continue to journey with God who is everywhere present, filling all things.
How will you journey WITH God as present today? Share your thoughts below.