Here is a simple way to discover more peace in your life. Ask for it. Pray for it to the One who is Peace. Although you are surrounded by endless noise, political chaos, personal troubles, and societal concerns, peace is available. Yet, finding peace in this mess is not easy. But, there is hope.[featured-image single_newwindow=”false”]
I pray a prayer twice each morning that makes all the difference. It is not a magical formula. Yet, it articulates what I need for the day. It reminds me that God is everywhere present and filling all things. He is active in life, creation, events, and difficulties. It helps me recognize how desperately I need him. It reminds me that prayer is a treasury of God’s loving peace waiting to be entered and realized. It helps me pray well. Here it is…
O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace. Help me in all things to rely upon your holy will. In every hour of the day, reveal your will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul and with the firm conviction that Your will governs all. In all my deeds and words, guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all are sent by You. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering or embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will; teach me to pray; pray You Yourself in me. Amen.
A Brief Background
Although the prayer may go back to the famous mystic, theologian and spiritual director Archbishop François Fénelon of Cambrai (18th century) it is attributed in this form to 19th century St. Philaret of Moscow. It has become a classic.
How to Make This Prayer Fitting for Your Day
- Pray this prayer in the morning before leaving your house for work.
- Print it or write it and place it in a conspicuous spot to remind you to pray it.
- Say the words with your heart; with meaning.
- Make the saying of this prayer a part of your morning routine.
Why Pray This Prayer?
- You will find encouragement and peace for your journey.
- You will begin to experience its truth.
- You will discover greater confidence in your relationship with God.
- You will be refreshed in your relationships with others.
- You will know God’s nearness.
So, are you convinced? I hope so. I have found this prayer a life-saver. You will too.
Comment or ask a question below. I’d love to hear from you about this prayer.